When do you must change your Status of Residence?

A foreigner residing in Japan who wishes to cease the activities in which he/she is currently engaged and to engage exclusively in activities belonging to a status of residence other than that which he/she presently holds must apply and receive permission for a change of status of residence. For example, a foreign national dispatched from a parent company in a foreign country to a subsidiary in Japan and currently residing in Japan on an “Intra-company Transferee” status of residence who wishes to resign from the company to which he is dispatched and to invest in and operate his own company needs to apply and receive permission for a change to “Business Manager” status of residence. However, applications for a change in status of residence are not automatically approved, and permission will not be granted if the new activities do not correspond to the requirements and criteria of the status of residence sought.

Previous article

Temporary visitor status

Next article

Japanese Corporate Tax System overview